Thursday, April 26, 2018

Maths Of The Electronic Parrot

El Paseo Shopping Mall.

The children of Pedro Vicente Maldonado wait at a designated café.

Where is daddy?

Here he comes now. But who is the niño?

Pedro Vicente Maldonado pushes forward the niño.

This is Terence. He is coming to our house for dinner tonight. But he wishes a parrot.

The children stare.

Hello, says Terence.

He looks like baby Jesus, says Mariposa.

No he doesn't, says Pescado. He wears dirty shorts.

And stiff curls on his head, says Mariposa.

And a claw for a finger, says Pescado.

Such ill manners will not be rewarded, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. No ice creams. We go straight to the shopping.

He stands up and strides towards Paseo Ec. and starts looking for trousers.

May I help you? asks an assistant.

Yes, I'm off to Hawaii. What trousers would you recommend?

I recommend shorts, sir.

He points him at shorts.

The children look at Terence.

I used to live in a palace, says Terence.

We live in a palace, says Mariposa.

So much for the palace.

It's big house really, says Pescado.

A pink one, says Mariposa. Why do you want a parrot?

They look after you, says Terence. Except for that time I had a balloon one.

There's a toy shop over there, says Mariposa.

I don't want a toy one, says Terence.

What if it was electronic? asks Pescado.

That would be good, says Terence.

They go to the toy shop.

Pedro Vicente Maldonado is trying on shorts behind a blue curtain.

How are we doing? asks the assistant.

What do you think? asks Pedro Vicente Maldonado, coming out in red cargo shorts.

Very nice, says the assistant. They will be a lot cooler than your red velvet trousers. And you can put things in the pockets.

I see, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. Children! What do you...? Ay! Where are my children?

Over at the toy shop, says the sales assistant. Will you take these?

I'll be back, cries Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

He runs to the toy shop.

Mariposa, Pescado and Terence are at the counter, haggling over an electronic parrot.

Fifty, says Mariposa. That's all we've got.

What's this? says their daddy.

The electronic parrot is out of their price range, says the saleswoman.

Not necessarily, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. Our young guest here wishes a parrot. An electronic one would be highly suitable.

The electronic parrot looks pleased.

I don't eat or defecate, says the electronic parrot. And I learn quickly.

Let's see, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. What is the square root of pi?

Yes, says the electronic parrot.

Yes what? asks Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

I could learn that, says the electronic parrot. What's the answer?

1.77245385, says Pescado.

Well done, my boy, says his daddy. But the parrot is decidedly precious.

I LOVE the parrot! says Mariposa. So does Terence.

I do, says Terence.

All right, put it on my account, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

And you are? says the saleswoman.

Pedro Vicente Maldonado, says Pedro Vincente Maldonado, astonished.

Ay! Forgive me! says the saleswoman. I did not know you in shorts.

Cielo! cries Pedro Vicente Maldonado. The shorts! Wrap up the parrot. I must hurry back to Paseo Ec. and change into my red velvet trousers!

No comments: