Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Unwinding The Coils

Saint Roley has settled his stomach ( he hopes) by eating some soap.

Now, where is Terence?

Saint Roley hops swiftly outside.

No Terence.

Saint Roley flies up to the roof of the Inn Panecillo.

Yes, there is Terence, round the back, looking up at the statue.

What a beautiful statue. She even has wings.

And what is that upon which she is standing?

A dragon.

That is what Terence will be looking at.

He flies down and lands beside Terence.

Yay! says Terence. You found me.

You're easy to find, says Saint Roley.

Look! says Terence. She's standing on a dragon.

I saw it, says Saint Roley. She also has wings. This makes me think she might know something of the fate of my brother.

The logic is way beyond Terence.

Can we go up there? asks Terence.

I could, says Saint Roley. You couldn't. Shall I go up there?

No, says Terence.

But if Saint Roley doesn't go up, nothing will happen.

All right, yes, says Terence. Take them a message.

Okay, says Saint Roley. What is the message?

Terence hasn't thought of a message.

I know, says Saint Roley. I could say: The infant below is your nephew, and he really likes dragons.

Then what ? asks Terence.

Then she'll say.....begins Saint Roley.

But he stops in mid-sentence.

The dragon has come tumbling down. The Virgin has released it.

Phoo-raa, says the dragon. It unwinds its coils. It's longer than we might have expected.

Saint Roley flies up to the roof of the Inn Panecillo, eyes on the dragon.

Can you make sparks? asks Terence.

No, says the dragon. Well probably, but I'm not allowed.

Did you fall? asks Terence.

She let me go, says the dragon, but just for five minutes. She sent a message.

What is it? asks Terence.

Have you got any of that Prognosticating Sea Salt? says the dragon.

Not on me, says Terence.

But Saint Roley is listening. He has an idea. He is so excited he hiccups. A bubble escapes from his beak.

The bubbles rises, followed by Saint Roley.

Hello, says the Virgin of Quito.

The infant below.... begins Saint Roley.

I know, says the Virgin of Quito. He's my nephew, and he really likes dragons.

No comments: