Friday, April 20, 2018

Joy And Ruination

Saint Roley flies down.

Any joy? asks the dragon.

Not yet, says Saint Roley.

Thought not, says the dragon. And I suppose she wanted a present.

My fault. I offered, says Saint Roley. Now I have to produce it.

And I have to go, says the dragon. Onwards and upwards!

He is reeled up by the Virgin, in an undignified manner.

What do I do? asks Terence.

Go back inside, says Saint Roley. I have to find Sweezus and Arthur in one of the bars or nightclubs in Quito. It might take some time.

I'm good at finding, says Terence.

No you're not, says Saint Roley.

I found you, says Terence.

Arthur found me, says Saint Roley.

Before, says Terence. In the egg.

And you ruined it, says Saint Roley. It's no thanks to you that I'm here.

If I was ruined, says Terence. Sweezus would find me.

What are you saying? asks Saint Roley.

........

In La Ronda, Sweezus, Arthur and Buzz have tacked onto an Ecuadorian food tour. Their stomachs are lined with caldo de guagua mama, (placenta soup), and tripa mishqui, (tripe in peanut sauce).

They leave the food tour and join a ten dollar pub crawl, organised by Eduardo.

First stop, a brewery where they drink mojitas and try local artisanal beer.

Second stop, a bar for a shot of aguardiente.

Third, a karaoke bar. Lydia and Tilly turn up. They like karaoke.

Eduardo is a fun guy. There are twenty people on the pub crawl, all singing and drinking.

Last pub on the agenda offers 'open bar for an hour' to the crawlers.

This is the coolest pub crawl ever, says Lydia.

Yeah, says Buzz. Did you try Happy Japa?

Yes, and Andean Sunrise, says Lydia.

Sweezus comes over, nursing his finger.

You got a sore finger? asks Lydia.

Nah, says Sweezus, wiggling his finger. It's nothing.

.....

Terence is regretting breaking the claw from his finger.

He's not coming, says Saint Roley. Break something else off.

NO! says Terence.

They go back inside Inn Panecillo, and take the lift up to Gaius's room.

There you are, says Gaius. I've been waiting.

Guess what? says Terence. I met a spark-spitting dragon!

Can Terence stay here? asks Saint Roley. I have to find Sweezus.

What for? asks Gaius. He'll be no use to anyone by now.

Order for Sea Salt, says Saint Roley. The Virgin. She wants superior packaging.

Does she? says Gaius. What is she prepared to pay for it?

News of the fate of my brother, says Saint Roley.

Gaius is moved.

He tears a page from his notebook. Notes relating to the Andean marsupial tree frog of the Hemifractidae family.

Use this, he says generously. Wrap up a few grains of Sea Salt. Sweezus left it with me,.

Thanks! says Saint Roley.

Thanks for NOTHING! says Terence. I just broke my CLAW off!

Never mind, says Gaius. I'll mend it with fish glue.


No comments: