Thursday, April 19, 2018

Tricky Fingers

Wonderful view, says Saint Roley

I tire of it, says the Virgin of Quito. Night follows day.

So it does, says Saint Roley.

Lights on, lights off, says the Virgin.

Very nice too, says Saint Roley, but I see what you mean.

My dragon doesn't, says the Virgin. How did he do down there?

He did all right, says Saint Roley. He said he only had five minutes.

That's all I ever give him, says the Virgin of Quito.

My lady, says Saint Roley, you seem to know things.

Things as they are, says the Virgin. But not things as they will be.

That's all I require, says Saint Roley. My brother's fate is a given. I just don't know what it is.

So you wish to know what it is, says the Virgin.

I do, says Saint Roley.

And what do I get? asks the Virgin.

Our Prognosticating Sea Salt, says Saint Roley. That's why I'm here.

So, my dragon delivered the message, says the Virgin. For that, he can have five more minutes.

How will he know? asks Saint Roley.

I'll buzz him, says the Virgin of Quito.

ZAPP!

Terence is as shocked as the dragon.

I've got five more minutes, says the dragon of the Virgin of Quito.

You made SPARKS! says Terence. You said you couldn't.

It wasn't me, says the dragon.

He makes an acknowledging sign.

He's got it, says the Virgin. Now speak to me of your brother.

It was off the coast of Saint Malo, says Saint Roley. Two brothers, in a cardboard box, getting wetter and wetter. The cardboard box breaks up. We must make a decision. Which piece to rely on? My brother chooses the one with the FINGER.

I'm aware of those fingers, says the Virgin. They can be tricky.

He believed it was the finger of god, says Saint Roley.

That's why they are tricky, says the Virgin of Quito. I suppose it was pointing towards the horizon.

It was, says Saint Roley. And that was the last I saw of my brother.

Too bad, says the Virgin of Quito. I imagine he drowned.

Don't you know? asks Saint Roley.

I could make enquiries, says the Virgin. Now about that Sea Salt. Does it come packaged?

It comes in recycled packaging, says Saint Roley. But we've sold the only two with the swan eyes. I don't suppose you'd consider used burger paper?

I can't come at that, says the Virgin of Quito. Think of the sauce.

Quite, says Saint Roley.

I'll leave it to you, says the Virgin.


No comments: