Tuesday, April 17, 2018

What Are Wings For

The Panecillo Inn in Quito is pretty close to the statue of the Virgin.

From a certain angle, she appears to float over the top.

Not float exactly, more like dancing.

But with the Inn in your line of vision you don't see the dragon.

And the dragon has a different perspective.

Perpetually crushed.

Look, Terence, says Lydia. Isn't she beautiful.

No, says Terence.

She's even got wings, says Tilly. That seems inappropriate.

We'll go up her in the morning, says Lydia.

Sweezus doesn't want to stay at the Panecillo Inn, almost under a Virgin.

No way.

He and Arthur are going to head out on the town. See you guys in the morning!

I'm coming with you, says Buzz.

Off they go.

We should go with them, says Lydia.

Yeah, we should, says Tilly. This is our one night in Quito.

Off they go too.

Wah! says Terence. Who'll look after me?

Not me, says Gaius. I must make a phone call.

I will, says Saint Roley, but first I need a toilet. Wait here.

That lets Simon off the hook. He goes to his room to read up on the Avenue of Volcanoes.

Gaius is still in the lobby. He tries the number of Pedro Vincente Maldonado.

Hello? Maldonado.

Hello, sir. My name is Gaius Plinius Secundus. Your mother....

Ah! say no more. I've been expecting your call. Mother spoke highly....

Wonderful! I would very much like to meet you. I believe you live in Riobamba?

I do, but I am off to Hawaii in a few days. Could you come tomorrow?

Err... yes of course. I and my team will be catching a bus to Riobamba in the morning.

Your team? Yes, do please bring them. I hear they carry the famous Prognosticating Sea Salt.

Famous? Jumping Jupiter! Its fame precedes us.

Yes, yes, you must all come to dinner. Here's my address.

Wait. I don't seem to have a pencil.

Gaius scrabbles around for a pencil.

Is there one on the desk at reception? Surely. No. Drat. He hurries to the lift in the hope that Simon will have one.

Terence waits alone in the lobby.

Why not go outside and have a look at his stupid winged auntie? What's she got wings for?

He tiptoes outside, and round the back of the Inn Panecillo.

Looks up at his aunt.

A dumb crown of stars, a soppy grin, a loony head tilt, wings and... she's made of little shiny pieces of metal all joined together and under her foot is a DRAGON!

That changes everything.

No comments: