Monday, April 30, 2018

The Whizz's Progress

Welcome, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. You must be Gaius Plinius Secundus.

I am, says Gaius. Forgive me for turning up early. I see Terence is already here.

Guess what? says Terence. I've got a new parrot.

Gaius looks at the electronic parrot. Supposed to be a whizz at mathematics. He will test it.

What is twice times seven? asks Gaius.

Cherry is silent.

An expression, says Terence.

Pedro Vicente Maldonado frowns.

Pescado comes to the rescue.

Fourteen, says Pescado.

Well done, says Gaius. Clever boy.

Saint Roley whispers something to Gaius.

The gist is that the Maldonados are mathematically gifted, and his praise was insensitive.

I see, says Gaius. Point taken. But I asked the parrot, and it failed to answer.

True, whispers Saint Roley. It has not to my knowledge shown any mathematical ability.

What a blunder, says Gaius.

To Pedro Vicente Maldonado he says:

I came early for two reasons. One, to alert you to the fact that I don't eat tomatoes.

That can be accommodated, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. I shall call the caterers.

He makes a quick phone call.

Done, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. The dressing shall be optional for the encebollado. The baked cuy is not served with tomatoes. And the t'anta wawa is a sweet, and as such...

Sorry to be such a nuisance, says Gaius. The second thing is .....I had hoped to see Arthur.

He's at the station, says Terence.

Ah yes, the Devil's Nose, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. That's where they were going.

That surprises me, says Gaius. I hope Arthur has booked a hotel.

Arthur hasn't.

Arthur is currently wedged against a snapped sapling on an almost perpendicular slope below a curve of the Devil's Nose train track.

You can always stay here, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado.

You're too kind, says Gaius.

Too kind. Another useful expression? Like twice times seven.

Twice times seven, says Cherry.

Forty! says Terence.

....een, says Pescado.

Forty-een, says Terence.

Bravo! says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. Terence followed your instruction. You were not exact, Pescado.

Mariposa laughs at her brother.

Cherry decides twice times seven is an excellent expression.


No comments: