Thursday, November 29, 2018

Awaiting The Scotsman

The full moon shines through the Cape York red gum branches.

A rufous owl screeches.

A snapping frog snaps.

A shrill whistling frog whistles shrilly.

Are we there yet? croaks Ageless.

Not yet, says Gloria, and anyway, we're making a detour.

Didn't you offer to flit low behind me? says Ageless.

I did, says Gloria. Would you like me to flit low behind you right now?

Will it help to propel me? asks Ageless.

It should do, says Gloria. Let's try it.

She flits low behind Ageless. 

Ageless takes a few steps. Yes, it is helping. He feels some sort of wind at his back.

Turn left at that cotton tree, says Gloria. 

Ageless turns left.

Soon they are at the red clay deposits.

Now, says Gloria, grab yourself a lump of red clay.

Ageless grabs at the red clay with his dominant claw. He manages one clawful.

Very good, says Gloria. Now we shall head for the river.

Ach! says Ageless. Not yet. I'll  rest while you give me some pointers.

All right, says Gloria. First: Visualise your finished product.

A round red pot, with creamy white clams set around it, says Ageless. 

White? says Gloria. Could you.... re-visualise that colour?

No, says Ageless, the pot is for Kobo. She is a creamy white clam. I cannot re-visualise her colour.

The pot is for Kambel, says Gloria.

Crackee! says Ageless. I must be delirious. Who is this Campbell? Is he a Scotsman?

A crocodile, says Gloria. Have you forgotten?

No, no, says Ageless.  I have not forgotten.

But he had forgotten.

Manganese and iron oxide make the best decorations, says Gloria. I suggest a crocodile pattern. In between wavy black lines, representing water. You did a fine job on your first pot....

My first pot.....mumbles Ageless.

He remembers the first pot. He traced Kobo on it. A creamy white puffball, soft on the inside.....he had poked his claw into the clay and moved it round a little, to make an opening.........

He moves his claw now. Crack! It opens a little..... 

Half his claw falls to the ground..... 

His willpower crumbles.

Damn it, says Gloria. What to do now?

Wa.....ter! moans Ageless. 

We are not far from water, says Gloria. I shall go to the river and fetch Kambel. He may cooperate, he may not, but I'll .....

He is not listening. She heads for the river.

Ageless lies prostrate, awaiting the Scotsman.

No comments: