Friday, November 16, 2018

Praise From A Reptile

Terence catches up.

You should have waited, says Terence.

We're waiting, says Sweezus.

But before, says Terence. I had no one to walk with. Not even a parrot.

We'll look out for parrots, says Gloria.

That's why I went slow, says Terence.

Come on, says Sweezus. Arthur must be way in front now.

He knows about crocs does he? asks Gloria.

No, says Sweezus.

Got a first aid kit? asks Gloria.

Of course he hasn't.

......

Arthur has reached the banks of the Embley, and sat down on a log.

The river is deep and something in it is moving.

It moves towards Arthur.

Arthur stands up and backs into a tree, festooned with climbing swamp fern.

Peace! says Arthur.

Piece of what? asks the crocodile. You don't appear to have anything, other than knees.

The crocodile lunges at Arthur's knees.

Arthur steps sideways, as the crocodile snaps, merely grazing a kneecap.

I meant to do that, says the crocodile. I'm playful in the morning. My teeth are okay, if you're asking.

My knee's bleeding, says Arthur, if you're asking.

Least of your worries, says the crocodile. Wait till after midday.

What happens then? asks Arthur.

I've set a deadline, says the crocodile. I was promised a delivery. If it's not here by then, I'll .....

Lash furiously the impassive river with your water-drunk carcass, says Arthur.

You're a poet! says the crocodile.

Was. Given up, says Arthur.

Still, says the crocodile. I admire what you said there.

Thanks, says Arthur, not averse to praise from a reptile who has recently threatened his knee.

I try my hand at poetry, from time to time, says the crocodile.

Arthur waits. He is bound to continue, without further encouragement.

Sure enough:

Damarri stepped on a thorn.
His foot was bleeding.
Ganyarra the crocodile smelt blood.
He followed Damarri across the inlet.
He tried to bite off his leg
But he couldn't.
This was because
Ganyarra had no teeth.

Damarri was a hero.
He laughed.

He made Ganyarra teeth
From the white mangrove.

With his gift
Ganyarra bit off
The left leg of Damarri.

Damarri told Ganyarra
To go off and hunt other people.



1 comment:

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Hunting other PEOPLE ..??
Thats exquisitely disgusting.