Saturday, November 10, 2018

I Can't Help You

It's divine in the sun.

And the rocks are so colourful.

Gloria flits about, remembering.

The ochres were traditionally only for men.

But she got permission.

Terence is scooping red handfuls.

Pa'u has gone off and come back with a selection of grasses.

Scurvy grass, barbed wire grass, blady grass, yellow scented grass.

Lovely, says Gloria. Weave them into a basket. Naturally, I can't physically help you.

Tell us how to do it, says Pa'u.

Lay them crosswise in a circle, says Gloria. Then weave in and out, starting from the centre.

How clever, says Pa'u.

He begins weaving.

It's hard for a lizard.

This is hard for a lizard, says Pa'u.

I'll help you, says Terence.

That's the way! says Gloria. You help him, while I have forty winks.

She drops into a hole that Terence has made with his fingers.

So help me, says Pa'u.

Weave in and out, starting from the centre, says Terence.

I was, says Pa'u. Now it's your turn.

You're the parrot, says Terence. I'm the mentor. That's how I'm helping. Anyway, I don't need a basket.

He indicates his pockets, which are bulging with lumps of red clay.

Your shorts'll be stained. You'll never get that out, says the lizard.

Let's see, says Terence.

He pulls out the lumps of red clay.

They lie there. Three lumps. Soon to be story pots.

I'm starting NOW! says Terence. Where's my drawing? Bumhole! I lost it!

Is that it? asks Pa'u.

Yes! says Terence. You are quite a good parrot. Would you like to have lessons?

No, says Pa'u. I'm happy being myself.

You can be on a pot, wheedles Terence. In a story.

I've been on one already, says Pa'u. Gloria made it.

You can have feathers, says Terence.

On hers I had crocodile teeth, says Pa'u. And believe me, it didn't work out.

I know, says Terence. Crocodiles have bigger teeth.

Have you met one? asks Pa'u.

Yes, says Terence. He gave me a lift across a river and I granted him shoes.

That would make a good story pot, says Pa'u.

Yes! says Terence. I could be in a canoe!

On one side, says Pau. And on the other side, the crocodile with his shoes on.

I just need...... says Terence.

You do, agrees Pa'u.

To make the actual pot.

No comments: