Sunday, November 25, 2018

Visionary Agony

The crocodile stops groaning.

All right. I will try on the flips flops.

Good man, says Gaius, unwrapping a pair.

How shall we do this? asks Humboldt.

I'll roll over, says the crocodile.

He rolls over in the shallows.

Let ME do it, says Terence.

He takes a flip flop from from Gaius. Size nine.

There are four feet to choose from.

Terence is not the only one who is looking.

Everyone is looking.

So everyone sees the same thing.

Front feet, five phalanges, back feet, four, the back ones being longer. But this is not the problem. His webbed toes are the problem.

YOU CAN'T WEAR FLIPS FLOPS! says Terence. YOU CAN'T GET THEM ON!

No need to shout, says the crocodile. Surely someone here can solve the problem.

Arthur? says Gaius.

Scissors, says Arthur. Or a knife.

Excellent! says Gaius. Do I still have my Swiss army knife?

Back at the cabin, says Humboldt. No wait! I have it in my pocket. I was peeling an apple.....

Surgery? roars the crocodile.

You okay with that? asks Sweezus.

I don't know, says the crocodile. Who will advise me?

I will, says Gloria. If flip flips are the preferred footwear of Knights of the Golden Tortoise, and you aspire to be one, then the outcome should outweigh the agony.

Gloria, says the crocodile, you don't have feet now. You're not the best person to advise me.

Try Arthur, says Gloria.

Do it, says Arthur. If nothing else, you might come up with a visionary poem.

The crocodile thinks about that.

He would like to come up with a visionary poem. If nothing else.

I submit, says the crocodile.

Can I do it? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. It's my knife. I'll do it. Front feet first. Hold still, Kambel.

Gaius make two quick slits between the first and second phalange of the crocodile's front feet.

Flip flops! Quick! says Gaius.

The crocodile tries to think of other things.

ark! the AGONY!
but O! in the words of Carved Cloud
AGELESS WILL MAKE ME ANOTHER ONE

Turn over, says Gaius. Try them.

Is it already over?

He treads the shallow water....gingerly.

O...O...let them stay on!

No comments: