Monday, November 12, 2018

Birds Came After

This basket is rubbish, says Terence.

Let me see, says Gloria.

I have to hold it out like a saucer, says Terence.

Pa'u's first attempt, says Gloria. He forgot to make handles.

Terence keeps walking.

The grass ends tickle his nose.

It would be annoying if it wasn't a cement one.

They move on in silence until......

Where are you from? asks Gloria.

A palace, says Terence. We had parrots. The parrots brought messages.

That's nice, says Gloria. Did you have many messages?

No, says Terence. I didn't have any.

You're still an infant, says Gloria.

I'm probably not the original, says Terence.

That's an interesting thought, says Gloria. I suppose I'm not the original either.

You had hands and a body, says Terence. Pa'u told me.

How are you different now? asks Gloria.

There's no Saint Joseph to spy on me, says Terence.

That's a negative, says Gloria.

What does that mean? asks Terence.

A thing you don't have. Was he a statue?

No. A whacker, says  Terence.

Bad luck, says Gloria. But you're with better people these days. Think positive.

Are we there yet? asks Terence.

No, says Gloria.

But eventually they get to the door of the cabin.

Sweezus opens the door.

Hey little dude, awesome pots, says Sweezus, not looking at them properly.

They're not pots, says Gloria. Just hardened clay. Terence will need some water.

Where's Gaius? asks Terence. I have a question.

Out, says Sweezus. Ask me.

You won't know, says Terence.

Try me, says Sweezus. And if I don't know, you can ask Arthur.

Okay, says Terence. It's about a crocodile.

Cool, says Sweezus. I've been researching crocodiles.

Pa'u says the very first crocodile didn't have any teeth, says Terence. Is that true?

Sweezus's research doesn't go back that far.

Dunno, says Sweezus. It's possible, but no...yeah...before it was a...... Who's Pa'u?

A lizard, says Terence.

Yeah, before they were lizards, says Sweezus, I guess they were birds.

No, says Arthur. Birds came after.

Were they parrots? asks Terence.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Some of them would be.

So Terence is satisfied. Some of them would be. He won't need to ask Gaius.

All he needs now is some water.


No comments: