Monday, November 26, 2018

Ingenious Hum

Kambel the crocodile glides out to mid river.

The flip flops stay on.

He glides back again.

Very good, says Humboldt. None of us thought they'd stay on.

NOW you tell me! says the crocodile. I must say I'm finding swimming more difficult.

Two of your webs are cut, says Gaius. And I made cross cuts at the inner ends, for wedging the toe pieces.

Ingenious, says Humboldt.

Hum, says the crocodile.

At least you've achieved your desire, says Gloria. O Knight of the Golden Tortoise.

One of them, says the crocodile. Where is Carved Cloud?

Nowhere, says Terence. It's a girl's name.

Nothing wrong with a girl's name, says Gloria.

If you're a girl, says Terence.

It's your reward, says the crocodile. Take it or leave it....... No, don't bother.

Why? asks Terence.

I'll simply ask you, who is Ageless and when will he make me another?

He's a robber, says Terence. He stole my red clay and made a pot that was rubbish.

Not in my eyes, says the crocodile. That pot bore a sign.

I know, says Terence. That's Ageless's mark. The mark of the Claw. It's not a real claw, it's a tulip.

It isn't, says Sweezus. Don't confuse him.

What is a tulip? moans the crocodile. His front phalanges are hurting.

Ha ha, laughs Terence. You don't even know!

That's enough, says Gaius. I think it's time Terence went back to the cabin.

Yeah, come on, little dude, says Sweezus. We'll find Ageless, and ask him to make a new pot.

But not with MY clay, says Terence.

No, we'll get him his own, says Sweezus. Coming Arthur?

Okay, says Arthur standing up from the log.

They head off to the cabin.

Gaius addresses the crocodile.

Well now, says Gaius. Are you happy with the flip flops?

Yes, says Kambel. But I would have liked the frog pen.

Too late. Terence has gone off with it, says Gloria. You are slow-witted.

Only in the afternoon, says Kambel.

Gaius and Humbolt turn away from the river.

Gloria too.

They soon disappear like flies in the distance.

Kambel kicks himself, for his lack of aggression.

No comments: