Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Difficult Birds

The parrot which has landed on the top railing of the Cape Bruny Lighthouse is....would you believe it.... P. krameri!

About time! says Terence. Where've you been?

Where haven't I been! says P. krameri.

With me, says Terence.

I've been doing my job, says P. krameri. Chasing difficult birds. You have no idea! Why are you here?

I went independent, says Terence.

You don't look independent, says P. krameri, blinking at Jerry.

We're here together, says Jerry. I got bored, so Mum and Dad let me ask Terence.

Nice to be some people, says P. krameri. I suppose Jinjing's doing something cushy.

He's helping Arthur build a trap, says Terence.

That's not in the spirit of our mission, says P. krameri.

Not a real trap, says Terence. It makes bird calls and the birds come and then Arthur counts them.

Tch! says P. krameri. Sounds like bad eco-science.

I'm good at science, says Jerry.

So what do you think of it? asks P. krameri.

Depends, says Jerry.

It is always good to start with depends.

On what? asks P. krameri.

On why you want to count them, says Jerry.

To see how many there are, says Terence. Are you stupid?

It's more complex than that, says P. krameri.

Now Captain Bruni appears at the lookout, having climbed up the circular staircase.

Aha! A reunion! says Captain Bruni.

Yes, says P. krameri. If only forty spotted pardalotes were as easy to find as you are.

I am hardly ever here, says Captain Bruni. I only came across to recover my dinghy.

Nevertheless, says P. krameri, I've been here, there and everywhere. Not a forty spotted pardalote in sight. Not a swift parrot or an orange bellied parrot either.

This is as good a spot as any to see them, I'd say, says Captain Bruni.

I see you know nothing about difficult birds, says P. krameri.

P. krameri flies off before Captain Bruni can contradict him.

It could be an embarrassing situation, but no. Terence and Jerry have lost interest.

They are taking things out of their pockets, and dropping them over the sides.

Captain Hawkins appears, leading the tourists. They have binoculars and cameras.

Is that Adventure Bay? Over there?

Is it?

It is, says Captain Hawkins.



No comments: