Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Pointy End

There is a reason Gaius doesn't want to leave the Jetty Café.

Amanda is explaining the Difficult Birds Project.

Gaius is taking some notes.

He has borrowed the pencil that Amanda lent to Jinjing, whose poem has now been recorded.

We provide insecticides for the forty spotted pardalotes to protect their babies from blood sucking predators, says Amanda.

How is it done? asks Gaius, scribbling madly.

Self help stations, says Amanda. We leave insecticide-soaked cotton wool balls for them to take away and line their nests with.

Most ingenious, says Gaius.

Also, says Amanda, on the mainland we provide nest boxes for Swift Parrots. But there's no need for that here on Bruny. That's because there are no sugar gliders here.

Their main predator, I take it, says Gaius.

Yes, says Amanda. We also run a foster program for the orange bellied parrot.....

Gaius wants to learn more, but this is the moment when he receives the phone call from Rachel.

Drat! Arthur, will you go?

Sure, says Arthur. Where to?

Jetty landing, says Gaius. Pick up Terence and bring him back here. If the ferry's departed, he'll be with Captain Bruni.

Okay, says Arthur. I'll go on my bike.

I'll go with you, says Jinjing.

Take my car if you like, says Amanda.

No, I'll bike it, says Arthur. Need the practice.

......

Arthur cycles slowly. His knee is stiffer than he thought.

Jinjing flies above him.

How he would love to fly down and perch on Arthur's shoulder.

But he doesn't.

.....

Terence and Captain Bruni are dragging the dinghy to the water.

Why do I get the pointy end? asks Terence.

So I can see you, says Captain Bruni. And make sure that you're pulling.

I'm not pulling, says Terence. I'm pushing.

I hope that's because you're incompetent and not disobedient says Captain Bruni.

No, says Terence. (It seems the safe answer).

Pull, says Captain Bruni.

What happens when I get to the water? asks Terence. I'll get there first.

Stop pulling and jump in, says Captain Bruni. I'll follow.

Then what? asks Terence.

Grab the oars and start rowing, says Captain Bruni.

Terence stops pulling and jumps.

Not yet, says Captain Bruni.

I was just looking to see where the oars are, says Terence.

Curses! says Captain Bruni. They're up at the kiosk where I left them for safe-keeping while we went to the Lighthouse.

Good, says Terence. I'll just wait here.

No you don't! says Captain Bruni. You're coming with me to the kiosk.

Yay! We might see Arthur! says Terence.

True, says Captain Bruni. On second thoughts, you'd better stay here.

What if I run off? asks Terence. Wouldn't that be exciting!

Captain Bruni is beginning to think that might not be too bad an idea.


No comments: