Monday, December 2, 2019

No True Bird

It's not fair, says Terence. Jinjing wouldn't come.

He can't be in two places at once, says Katherine.

They are crossing the Neck, on their way to the ferry landing.

It was a choice between pleasure and science, adds Katherine. What would you choose, if you were in his shoes?

To take off my shoes, says Terence.

After you'd done that, says Katherine, and you had to decide whether to go to the Lighthouse with your friend or help Gaius interview a Swift Parrot, what would you choose?

Both, says Terence.

If it could only be one or the other, says Katherine.

Terence sulks, because it has to be one or the other.

Bother! says Katherine. I forgot to give Gaius the cheeses!

We can go back, says Terence. Jinjing might be finished.

No, we'd be late, says Katherine. I'll give you the cheeses, and you can give them to Gaius later on.

How? asks Terence.

That will be up to Jerry's parents, says Katherine. They will be returning to the ferry landing. Gaius can meet you there.

Terence scowls and looks out of the window.

He can see the water, and the mainland.

He remembers the dinghy he came across in.

Remember my dinghy? says Terence.

Captain Bruni's dinghy, says Katherine. I wonder if it's been recovered? We'll see when we get near the ferry.

Are we there yet? asks Terence.

No. It's a long Neck, and they are not there yet.

........

Gaius and Jinjing proceed to the meeting spot in the forest.

He'll be here, says Jinjing.

kik kik kik!

Did you hear that? asks Gaius.

That's his flight call, says Jinjing. He's coming!

kik kik kik! Plop. Jinjing!

Allow me to introduce myself, says Gaius. Gaius Plinius Secundus. I apologise for my behaviour earlier.

Lathamus discolor, says the Swift Parrot. That's me. Not a pretty name, but I own it.

The only member of genus Lathamus, says Gaius.

Always open to new members, says the Swift Parrot, winking at Jinjing.

Jinjing ignores him.

Three questions, says the Swift Parrot. I don't have all day.

You or me? asks Gaius.

That's one you've just wasted, says Swift Parrot.

I presume, then, I may ask you three questions, says Gaius.

Correct, says Swift Parrot. Two left now. Go!

How many of you are there? asks Gaius.

One, says Swift Parrot. Or two thousand, in the plural.

How do you know? asks Jinjing.

Not counted! says Swift Parrot.

Two thousand, says Jinjing. How is that not counted?

Your question's not counted, says Swift Parrot. Because you're a softie with no true bird characteristics.

Ahem, says Gaius. Jinjing is a valued team member.

Jinjing looks embarrassed.

I believe I have one more question, says Gaius.

Lucky that wasn't framed as a question, says Swift Parrot.

Deliberately so, says Gaius. My question is, have you come across a newly placed broadcasting device around here lately?

Yes, says Swift Parrot. Ten trees over that way. Tied on with string. Very dodgy.

Thank you, says Gaius.

He turns to Jinjing.

Let us go and find Arthur, and continue our search for the forty spotted pardalote.

They leave before the Swift Parrot realises he has been bested.


No comments: