Friday, December 27, 2019

Not What I Expected

Of the three things that could have happened to Terence, only one has.

He is inside the kiosk where Arthur has found him.

Thought you were missing, says Arthur. Jinjing's gone looking.

So HE'S missing, says Terence. Does he know how to row?

Probably knows how to, says Arthur. But he couldn't actually do it.

This should be obvious, even to Terence.

But Terence says nothing.

The man behind the counter has seen him.

You again, says the man. I thought I told you not to come back.

I couldn't help it, says Terence.

He's with me, says Arthur. Just give me a coffee and we'll get going.

Coffee-making noises. Bbrzzzzjhsh...pshhhh.

Arthur is given a takeaway coffee with a lid on.

Terence is already outside.

Arthur joins him.

So why did you ask me? asks Arthur.

I didn't ask you, says Terence. I knew you wouldn't buy me anything.

I mean why did you ask me if Jinjing could row?

Because you came and now I don't have to, says Terence. But Captain Bruni might make Jinjing row.

Arthur takes the lid off his coffee. Froth has stuck to the lid, wrecking the swirly froth pattern.

Arthur wipes the froth off the lid with his finger and licks it.

It's not enjoyable. Anyway, what were you saying?

Captain Bruni turned MEAN! says Terence. He tried to force me to row the dinghy back to the mainland, but he forgot his oars, so he came up here to get them but he went round the back.

He's got the oars now, says Arthur. And he can't make Jinjing row. He'll have to row himself back, or get a tow behind the ferry.

Yippee! says Terence. Let's go down there.

No, says Arthur. We're going back to meet Gaius. 

But I want to get towed in the dinghy, says Terence. I don't want to go back to Gaius on your stupid bike.

Arthur is easily persuaded.

Terence is heavy. 

They head down to the shore, where Captain Bruni is preparing to tie his dinghy to the back of the ferry.

Jinjing is perched on the side of the dinghy.

I no longer need Terence, says Captain Bruni. Alternative plan.

But he wants to go with you, says Arthur. How about it?

I'm no babysitter, says Captain Bruni.

I'll go too, says Jinjing.

That's good, says Arthur. I'll be off then.

He heads for his bike.

This is not what I expected, says Captain Bruni. 


No comments: