Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Pale Ink Of Squashed Larvae

Gaius and Jinjing arrive at the tenth tree.

The broadcasting device is just visible among the high branches.

This is it, says Jinjing. Arthur's not back yet.

We'll wait, says Gaius.

They wait under the tree.

The device broadcasts forty spotted pardalote calls, at regular intervals.

Wheet-wheet!

No actual birds are in evidence.

Shall I go and find Arthur? asks Jinjing.

Yes, says Gaius. I'll sit down and reorder my papers.

Look up every now and then, says Jinjing.

I will, says Gaius.

Jinjing flies off to look for Arthur.

Gaius sits down.

Wheet-wheet!

Gaius looks up.

Plop.

Faecal matter besmirches his uppermost paper.

Wheet-wheet!

A dull spotted bird flies down to perch on one of the lower branches.

Never mind! says Gaius. I'll wipe it off with my sleeve.

Wipe what off? asks the dull spotted bird.

It may not have been yours, says Gaius. Who is to say?

What are you talking about? asks the dull spotted bird.

Forget it, says Gaius. May I ask why you flew down to one of the lower branches?

You may, says the dull spotted bird.

Why then? asks Gaius.

To ask you to turn off your wheet-wheet, says the dull spotted bird.

It's not my wheet-wheet, says Gaius. I'm waiting for the technician.

It's confusing us, says the dull spotted bird.

I don't doubt it, says Gaius. Two wheets coming from the same source. Would you care to wait with me?  How are you at mathematicss?

Good, up to forty, says the dull spotted bird.

I have less than forty pages of notes here, says Gaius. But they are not numbered.

One is identifiable, says the dull spotted bird.

Indeed, says Gaius.

Do you want me to count them? asks the dull spotted bird.

No, says Gaius. What I really need is a pencil. Or something to mark the pages.

I don't have a pencil, says the dull spotted bird, but I have three larvae in my hollow.

Hum, says Gaius. What are you suggesting? A feast?

No, I could spare them. Squashed larvae might make a pale ink.

A pale ink is better than no ink, says Gaius. Thank you.

She flies up to her nest in the hollow, to gather the larvae.

Gaius congratulates himself, on winning her trust.

No comments: