Sunday, December 8, 2019

Longtemps No See

A group of tourists waits outside the lighthouse.

Grumbling.

Where is their tour guide? They've paid fifteen dollars.

Ignore them, says Captain Bruni. Come around to the side.

Mum, Dad, Jerry and Terence follow Captain Bruni around to the side.

There appears to be no other entrance.

Never mind, says Dad, We'll do it the proper way.

Captain Hawkins will be down on the rocks, says Captain Bruni. I'll go and find him.

We'll wait here, says Dad. And if the tour guide turns up, we'll go in.

D'accord, says Captain Bruni.

Can I go with him? asks Terence.

No, you're staying with us, says Mum.

Captain Bruni makes his way down from the lighthouse, via a track that leads to the rocks.

He is now on the rocks.

Giant waves splash and crash. Yes, it's dangerous, but not for a well seasoned lobster.

He shouts, in case Captain Hawkins in within earshot.

He is.

Bruni! cries Captain Hawkins.

William! says Captain Bruni. Longtemps non voir.

None of your French nonsense! says Captain Hawkins. Welcome to Cape Bruny. Long time no see.

I expected to see you up at the lighthouse, says Captain Bruny. Don't tell me you've retired?

Not at all, says Captain Hawkins. Well, partly. I just do odd days now.

I'm here with a family, says Captain Bruni. I was hoping....

Say no more, says Captain Hawkins. I'll come up with you.

The two lobsters scrape their way over rocks, catching up on their news.

Controversies galore here on Bruny, says Captain Hawkins. Not a dull moment. The volunteers think the council plans to sell off the National Park. Privatise everything.

Tut, says Captain Bruni.

And you? asks Captain Hawkins.

Did you know, says Captain Bruni, that eating oranges, lemons and limes prevents scurvy?

Probably heard it somewhere, says Captain Hawkins. Why?

Vitamin C, says Captain Bruni.

I meant why does it concern you? asks Captain Hawkins.

If I had known it at the time, I might not have died of the scurvy, says Captain Bruni.

But you would have died of something, says Captain Hawkins.

Perhaps not at sea, says Captain Bruni. And then, who knows, I might not have become immortal.

Over-thinking won't help, says Captain Hawkins.

They are on the track now, having crossed the rocks successfully.

You know what I mean, says Captain Bruni.

You need a stiff rum, says Captain Hawkins.

I itch sometimes, says Captain Bruni.

Probably starting to moult. says Captain Hawkins. I do too. Nothing to worry about.

You're a bon ami, says Captain Bruni.

Whatever that means, says Captain Hawkins.

Piece of apple? asks Captain Bruni, offering his friend a piece of Terence's gouged apple.

Urrr.... Captain Hawkins looks doubtful.

There may be some Vitamin C in it, says Captain Bruni.

There may have been, once, says Captain Hawkins.

No comments: