Sunday, December 1, 2019

In Up Swift Swifter

There's a lighthouse at the far end of South Bruny, says Katherine.

Is the light on? asks Terence.

No, it's been decommissioned, says Katherine, but they do tours, so you can go in.

And up, presumably, says Gaius.

Yes, up, says Katherine. Anyway Terence, I've arranged for you to have a chat with Jerry. Would you like that?

Yes, says Terence. I'll make him invite me. There's nothing to do here.

I wouldn't say.... begins Gaius, until he bethinks himself.

How convenient it would be if Terence is invited to the lighthouse.

I wouldn't say no... Gaius finishes smoothly.

Katherine calls Jerry's mum's phone.

Hello, Katherine here, can Terence please speak to Jerry?

Certainly, says Mum. Jerry it's your friend Terence calling.

Jerry: Hello, Spew Ball.

Terence: Hello, Snot Ball. Can I come with you to the Lighthouse?

Jerry: What about your mission?

Terence: Gaius is doing it.

Jerry: But you're number two.

Terence: I'm number two with no number threes.

Jerry: No parrots?

Terence: They flew off in different directions.

Jerry: I'll ask Mum.

He asks his mother if Terence can go with them to the Lighthouse.

Ooh, says Mum (Terence can hear her). I'll have to ask Dad.

I heard, says Dad. (Terence can hear him). How would that work? Where is he?

Jerry: Where are you?

Terence: Near where I was.

Terence hears Jerry tell Mum he is near where he was.

Ask Katherine if she's driving back to the ferry landing, says Mum. We could meet Terence there.

That's doubling back on ourselves, says Dad.

Not that much, says Mum.

Okay, says Dad. If Terence is at the ferry landing in half an hour we'll take him with us.

Yay! says Terence.

You heard that? asks Jerry.

I heard that, says Terence.

Big ears, says Jerry. Okay, ask her.

What? says Terence.

If she'll drive you back to the ferry.

Of course I will, says Katherine. I have big ears as well.

Jinjing zooms back into the clearing, and lands on the ground.

Did you catch up with him? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Jinjing. He may be Swift but I'm swifter.

And? asks Gaius.

He'll meet you, says Jinjing. But only on his terms.

I'm going to the Lighthouse, says Terence. I'm going NOW! And you're coming with me.

Sorry, says Jinjing. Can't.

No comments: