Friday, March 13, 2020

A Glimpse Of The Afterlife

From the passenger's shoulder, Alexander-Red-Hook sees posters roll by.

The posters are attached to a fence by the footpath.

Above the fence she sees colourful rides.

Some have lights on them and twist and whirl rapidly.

And then ..... a road, ordinary buildings. People walk by.

Have I had a glimpse of the afterlife? wonders Alexander-Red-Hook.

If so what does the fence mean?

She has muttered her questions aloud.

The passenger on whose shoulder she sits lifts her down gently and returns her to Kierkegaard.

I hope I haven't upset your crab, says the passenger. She seems troubled with questions.

Not at all, says Kierkegaard. Very kind of you to bother. I hope you didn't think I was ......

But the passenger has stood up and walked to the door of the bus and got off.

Cruel.... ends Kierkegaard, pointlessly.

She wouldn't have, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I acted normal.

But troubled with questions? says Kierkegaard. What were they?

Not troubled, says Alexander-Red-Hook. We crabs seldom get a glimpse of the afterlife. That's all. Well not quite all. If that's what it was, I was wondering why it needed a fence.

What a delightful question, says Kierkegaard.

I shall incorporate it into my poem, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I await it's completion, says Kierkegaard. And if you would like me to write it out for you when it's done, I shall be only too pleased to oblige you.

You're quite nice, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Thank you, says Kierkegaard.

You should get married, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

There you are wrong, says Kierkegaard.

Alexander-Red-Hook settles into the breakfast bowl and starts composing:

there I was acting normal
peering through a window
of a bus.
I had a glimpse of the afterlife
it was hectic
twisting and turning
it even had lights
in the daytime
but why a fence?

Alexander-Red-Hook is pleased with this verse, which is the first one.

The second one will deal with the fence.

But she will leave it for now, not yet knowing the answer.

No comments: