Sunday, March 8, 2020

Red Dots For Posterity

Who was that on the phone? asks Gaius.

Sweezus, says Kierkegaard. Asking how things were going.

Nice of him, says Gaius.

Yes, says Kierkegaard. I thought so. He invited me to join him and his friends, surfing.

You should go, says Gaius. You already look the part in those shorts.

I don't want to leave you in the lurch, says Kierkegaard.

Nothing much to do now, but wait, says Gaius.

Any thoughts on a time frame? asks Kierkegaard.

A week should see the end of it, says Gaius. Although the control crab could last longer.

What about the pickle? asks Kierkegaard. That may have altered the equation.

Not the equation, says Gaius. They all had some. But you're right, it may lengthen or shorten the time frame.

Perhaps we were wrong to let them eat the pickle, says Kierkegaard. We could easily have thrown it away.

Or you could have eaten it, says Gaius.

Or you could, says Kierkegaard.

True, says Gaius. You know, you and I work well together.

We do, says Kierkegaard.

But I don't want you to miss out on some fun, says Gaius. Belle is there, isn't she.

She is, says Kierkegaard. Along with her cousin.

Marie! says Gaius. She's a sensible young lady. You'll like her.

They're only there for a week, says Kierkegaard.

Gaius looks at his experimental set up. Would it be transportable? Of course it would. They could go.

We'll pick up sticks and we'll all go, says Gaius.

What about all the salad bowls? asks Kierkegaard.

Cling wrap, says Gaius. Right! I need to book seats on a bus. Where's my phone?

I gave it back to Terence, says Kierkegaard.

Terence! says Gaius. I need my phone!

Here, says Terence. Look at my photos.

Gaius looks at the photos. The aerial ones from the ladder, and the side view of Alexander-Yellowsun in the pickle jar.

Face on, with a dill frond moustache.

Very good, says Gaius. But wasn't the idea to show the red dots on her back for posterity?

What's posterity? asks Terence.

Gaius regrets using that word.

No comments: