Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Promising Less

Gaius is rummaging through his back pack.

Where is that small plastic bag?

What have you lost, Gaius? asks Lauren.

The microplastics, says Gaius. I was certain I packed them.

Never mind, says Lauren. You'll find more on the beach. Why don't you go down there?

Humph, says Gaius. I suppose I shall have to.

He goes.

Kierkegaard is now alone in the shop with Lauren, except for the crabs, who are getting on with their grieving.

This dear friend of yours...., says Kierkegaard.

Yes, says Lauren. What a man. I'll never forget him.

He spoke to you about me? says Kierkegaard.

Mmm, says Lauren. He had the FIERCEST moustache.

So it was Nietzsche? asks Kierkegaard.

Friedrich I called him, says Lauren. I healed him of board rash.

Due to surfing? asks Kierkegaard.

Yes, surfing, says Lauren. He was new to it, but he picked it up fast.

Doubtless, says Kierkegaard.

He borrowed my son's shorts, says Lauren. He had to.

If Kierkegaard asks why, she won't tell him.

He doesn't ask why.

You discussed philosophy? asks Kierkegaard.

Often, says Lauren. He was deeply interested in Reiki.

Kierkegaard is sceptical, but he doesn't let on.

And did it seem to you that he had read me? asks Kierkegaard.

Oh yes, says Lauren. He had one of those potted books on famous philosophers. You were in it.

What did he say about me? asks Kierkegaard.

That you ought to read him, says Lauren.

I have read him, but he wasn't to know that, says Kierkegaard,

Have you got the same book? asks Lauren.

Probably not, says Kierkegaard. Tell me, did he say anything specific?

God is dead, says Lauren. Sorry to have to say it.

Not at all, says Kierkegaard. But I meant, anything specific about ME.

He did say that was where you differed, says Lauren.

Anything positive? asks Kierkegaard.

Not that I remember, says Lauren.

Do try, says Kierkegaard.

You remind me a little of him, says Lauren.

This could be promising.

Those purple skull shorts, says Lauren. I feel I've seen them before.

This is less so.


No comments: