Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Nothing Unnatural Happens

Where's the one in the pickle jar? asks Lauren.

Here, says Gaius.

He places the pickle jar containing Alexander-Yellowsun on the table next to her friends.

May I remove her? asks Lauren.

I don't see why not, says Gaius. But I must set about obtaining some sea water.

Use that bucket, says Lauren.

She points to a bucket in the corner.

We'll get some for you, says Belle, picking up the bucket. Marie and I are going down to the beach now. Want to come, Terence?

Yay! says Terence. Can I go in the water?

NO! says Gaius.

I shouldn't have asked, says Terence.

It's good that you did, says Belle. But I wouldn't have let you go in the water.

What about the bucket? asks Terence.

You could be the one who throws it in, says Marie. All you need is a rope attached to the handle, to pull it out with.

Yippee! says Terence. Where's a rope?

I don't have one, says Lauren. Not in the shop, but..... she looks around..... Here, take this beaded string necklace.

Are you sure, Lauren? asks Belle. It's so pretty.

Had it too long, says Lauren. Can't seem to sell it. It may as well make itself useful.

Terence departs with Belle, Marie and the bucket, clutching the beaded string necklace.

Gaius addresses the crabs.

I take it you're all willing to continue the experiment?

Yes, says Alexander-Curly.

Not so fast, says Alexander-Groovy.

It won't be fast, says Gaius. We'll have to wait for the water. And then I shall have to make up new solutions.

I meant, says Alexander-Groovy, that we need time to grieve.

Grieve away, says Gaius.

That was brusque, says Lauren, unscrewing the lid of the pickle jar and picking up some tweezers.

She lifts Alexander-Yellowsun out with the tweezers, and places her on the table.

Then she does something weird with her hands.

Making magical passes and so forth.

But Alexander-Yellowsun is dead, and has been for ages.

So nothing unnatural happens.

No comments: