Sunday, January 28, 2024

Devoted

 Gaius has not found anything that will do as a garter.

I'll just nip out to the shops and find something suitable,  says Gaius. 

No, don't bother, says Belle. I'll ...

Oh, let him, says Iris. Something white and lacey.

I'll do my best, says Gaius.

He goes out.

Let's start rehearsing, says Belle.

Can I watch? asks Terence.

Of course you can, says Iris. All I do is pick up her garter, and when she asks me, I put it back on.

On you, says Terence. 

On her, says Iris. 

Begin, says David.

Belle: Are you still devoted to the lady Cunégonde?

Iris: Yes madam.

Belle: You answer like a true German bumpkin. A Frenchman would say It is true I once loved her, but on seeing you, I love her no more.

Iris: Very well madam. Let that be my answer.

Belle (pretending to drop something): Be so good as to pick up my garter.

Iris (picking up the invisible garter): With all my heart, madam.

Terence: Ha ha!

Belle: What's so funny.

Terence: There isn't one.

Belle: There will be. Just as you will have a proper blanket, and not that old jersey. Now be quiet.

Terence: I wish I could be the red sheep like last time. 

Iris: Now we sink onto a couch and you surrender yourself to me.

Belle: Yes we do need a couch.

Gaius returns with a metre of white ribbon, followed by a small boy and his mother.

Hedley! cries Terence.

Yay, Terence! cries Hedley.

I met Hedley and his mother downstairs, says Gaius. They were coming up to ask if there was a part in this year's production for Hedley.

Yes there is! cries Terence. 

Is it a red sheep again? asks Hedley. With a red willy?

No, says Terence. It's me under a blanket.

What are you? asks Hedley.

A hand, says Terence. A fat one. I stick it out and get diamonds.

Hedley would like a speaking part, says Hedley's mother. He goes to Theatre Bugs. and he's in his third year.

Hedley should take what he's offered, says Iris.

It's not up to you, Iris, snaps Vello. We have a speaking part for an officer, or a nurse.

Officer! says Hedley.

Lovely! says Hedley's mother. Hedley will take it.

She looks hard at Iris Murdoch.

Iris Murdoch looks hard at Hedley's mother.


No comments: