Friday, January 26, 2024

It's Boring And Smells

Next morning, in the Velosophy office.

Vello and David are discussing the sequence of scenes.

First scene, says Vello, the card game.  Second scene, the seduction. Third scene, the deception. Fourth scene, the escape.

Good, says David. That's settled. Who am I playing?

Martin, says Vello. And Gaius will play the abbé. 

He's agreed? says David.

He has, says Vello.

Belle and Iris come into the office. They are discussing their costumes.

You'll be all right, says Belle.  You're smaller than Sweezus, so you'll fit into his costume. I'll just take in the sides.

What is his costume? asks Iris. 

A jacket, knee-length trousers and boots, says Belle.

Can I wear my own boots? asks Iris Murdoch. 

Sure, says Belle. And I'll wear Cunégonde's costume from last year, with different trimmings, and a garter.

Good to hear that we're saving money, says Vello. 

Gaius and Terence come in.

I'm here! says Terence. Where's my blanket?

What blanket? asks Belle.

Terence is playing the lady who is not Cunégonde, says Vello.

Brilliant! says Belle. What fun you'll have, Terence.

Can I do my part now? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Belle. If you can find something to use for a blanket.

Terence starts looking.

The only thing he can find is Vello's unwashed Tour Down Under jersey.

Now what? says Terence.

We're doing a run-through of scene one, this morning, says Vello. You are in scene three. So go into the corner and practise being under your blanket.

Okay, says Terence.

Right, says David. Scene one is the card game. Who's in it? Let me see. Twelve card players. Will that be a problem?

Maybe we should start with scene two, suggests Belle.

No, says Vello, scene one contains my amusing commentary on the current literary scene in Paris.

Hardly current, says Iris Murdoch.

Trust you to say something like that, says Vello.

Need I remind you I chose the seduction scene as our starting point? says Iris Murdoch.

Am I in it? asks Terence.

NO! says Belle. You probably shouldn't even see it. Stay under the jersey.

It's boring, says Terence. And it smells.

Practise poking your hand out, says Iris. As I recall it's described by our illustrious author as a plump hand.

What's a plump hand? asks Terence.

An enlarged hand, says Gaius. 

A fat hand, says Iris.

How can I practise a fat hand? asks Terence.

That's something for you to work on, says Vello.

Terence wriggles back under the jersey to work on his hand.

No comments: