Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Unpredictable

That afternoon, Lauren calls Sweezus.

I hear you need help with the video, says Lauren.

Ah yeah no, not really, says Sweezus.

Come on, says Lauren. You've got team training. And I'm not busy.

Did Surfing-with-Whales tell you what happened? asks Sweezus.

About the lamp post, says Lauren. He told me. But I'm handy at photoshopping.

Okay, says Sweezus. I'll send you the video and the photo. You'll see the green wheel sticking out. Make it stick out behind a tree, or something. Not too easy to see. It's for a competition.

I know. I was there at the party, says Lauren. 

Oh yeah, says Sweezus. Thanks Lauren.

He sends her the video and the photo.

And goes out to do stuff with his bike.

Lauren watches the video, over and over.

Where to hide the tiny section of bike wheel?

She calls Gaius. After all it's his project.

Ring ring.

Hello? says Gaius. 

It's Lauren, says Lauren. I'm helping Sweezus with the video.

Isn't it finished? asks Gaius.

I'm placing the bicycle, says Lauren, and I wanted your feedback.

The bicycle is nothing to do with me, says Gaius. It was Arthur's idea to hide it.

I'm not consulting Arthur, says Lauren. He's too unpredictable.

I find him reliable, says Gaius.

Mm, says Lauren. So where do you suggest I hide it? A tree seems too obvious. What about the lagoon?

The lagoon? says Gaius. What would a bicycle be doing in a lagoon?

Sticking out of it, says Lauren. In the reeds at the edge.

Hum, says Gaius. Isn't there a paperbark canoe there?

Is that what it is? asks Lauren.

Indeed, says Gaius. I believe Du Fresne made use of it. 

The lobster? says Lauren. 

Yes, he was leading the search party, says Gaius. Or so I was told.

Then why isn't he in the video? asks Lauren. It looks like the quoll is the hero.

How unfair, says Gaius. Perhaps you could do something about that as well.

Sure, says Lauren. Just find me a lobster.

But Gaius was only being sarcastic, and has ended the call.


No comments: