Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Inaction

Inaction! I echoed, slightly annoyed. I was thinking more along the lines of letting things take their own course, while keeping an eye out for culpability due to inaction on my part.

It's the same thing, remarked Pliny, if you don't do anything.

It isn't, I said. It's my way of living an examined life. You live an examined life don't you?

I am too busy, said Pliny.

Oh yes, I said. Have you sent off your bicycle story yet?

I have, said Pliny. It will be published tomorrow. I hope it will be well received.

Bound to be, I said. It's got everything. Mystery, music, comedy, an approaching storm, two bicycles, religious controversy, even an apotheosis of sorts.

Thanks, said Pliny, looking pleased. I wonder if they'll ask me for a follow-up.

Do you have another bicycle story in you? I asked.

Oh yes indeed I do, said Pliny. I've been reading Kafka. I have an idea for a story which I shall call Kafka's Bicycle. A man wakes up one morning to discover he's turned into a giant beetle.

How is that any different from Kafka's story?

There will be a bicycle in it.

But surely a beetle couldn't ride a bicycle.

I must say you have very little imagination.

True. I like to just sit back and let things take their course.

Do that. And I shall commence work on my story.

No comments: