Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Minus Seventh Day of Christmas.

Christmas tree.

Today I put up a Christmas tree. The one I've kept in an orange bag in the garage, ever since creatures ate the box it came in. It was a long thin box and really hard to get the tree out of and back into. Now you know it isn't a real tree. For many years we used to buy a real tree but it used to make some of us sneeze.

The real tree was delivered by some charity, I don't remember which. They delivered it 7 days before Christmas, which the children always thought was way too late. It must have been, because when I put our tree up this morning I thought it was way too late as well. My daughter is coming tomorrow and we're going to decorate it together, that's why I've waited until today.

I didn't want to wait until tomorrow in case there were creatures in the bag. At first I thought there weren't but then, when I put my head into the bag, I could see that there were. Horrendously large browny-yellow multi-segmented wriggling larvae. I was glad my daughter wasn't going to see them. I tipped them out in the garden. She might see them there but she won't know where they've been.

I still don't feel Christmassy. That's probably because the tree is bare.

No comments: