Sunday, December 27, 2009

Motto

Pliny the Elder looks surprised. Whose is this new Latin Dictionary and Grammar? he wonders aloud.

It's mine, I say.

What do you need that for? he asks. You can find out anything you need to know from me.

You are not always here, I reply. For example you went away at Christmas. Which was when I was asked to come up with the Latin for a motto.

What was the motto? asks Pliny.

'I stand aside', I reply. Or in Latin, 'Separatim maneo'.

Very nice, says Pliny, approvingly. Very nice indeed. But not your motto, obviously.

No, not my motto. I would like a motto, if only I could think of one.

I thought your motto was 'No day without a line', says Pliny.

That's more of a reminder, I say. No, I want something that sums me up, in Latin.

First, says Pliny, you must find something that sums you up in English.

I know, I say, but nothing does.

How about 'Nothing sums her up'?

What would that be in Latin?

'Nihil summatim', perhaps.

That seems a little terse. And where am I, in that?

I left you out, for brevity.

No comments: