Monday, December 21, 2009

The Minus Third Day of Christmas.

I didn't think your Minus Fourth Day of Christmas blog was very Christmassy, said Pliny the Elder.

What about the girl with the red shiny hair ? I asked. Wasn't she Christmassy?

Was she supposed to be ? asked Pliny.

That's why I put her in, I replied firmly.

So you made her up? frowned Pliny.

No Pliny, I never make anything up.

Well, what is your Christmas theme going to be today?

You probably won't believe me, but I was in North Adelaide this afternoon, waiting for my daughter, when I saw a second girl with shiny red hair crossing Ward Street. She was dressed in black. She was too far away for me to see if it was the same girl we saw at the beach.

No, said Pliny. That will not do.

What do you mean?

It is virtually the same theme.

No it isn't. The first time it was a girl with red shiny hair. The second time it was a coincidence.

But a coincidence is not in itself Christmassy.

It is, if the thing that happened twice was Christmassy.

A sophist's argument, sniffed Pliny.

No comments: