Friday, September 23, 2011

Stoicism and Nihilism

Gaius pedalled up the hill towards McCracken. He was two hours late. It was quite possible the others had already left for Granite Island.

At least he had acquitted himself well last night in the freezing cabin. Gritting his teeth like the military man he was and putting up with it. Letting Sweezus have the extra blanket. Not complaining to the manager about the broken heater in the morning. His list of virtues was impressive. He wondered if he would be too late for breakfast.

......

Sweezus was excited.

Nihilism! said Sweezus. I like the sound of that. What is nihilism exactly?

Do you mean existential nihilism? asked Camus. Or metaphysical nihilism?

I don't know, said Sweezus. Either one.

Existential nihilism tells us that life has no objective meaning, purpose or intrinsic value, said Camus.

Like absurdism, said Sweezus.

No! said Camus. It's completely different.

Oh, I get it! said Sweezus. You mean it isn't influenced by the weather.

I didn't mean that, said Camus. But you are quite right.

Brilliant! said Sweezus. You're giving me heaps of inspiration. I'm going to call my article The Nihilist Bicyclist.

That has a nice ring to it, said Francine.

Gaius knocked at the door.

Come in Gaius! said Francine. We were wondering where you were. We're nearly ready to go to Granite Island. I suppose you've already eaten back at the cabin?

Yes, yes I have, thank you, said Gaius, looking at the toast crumbs and the empty cups.

No comments: