Saturday, September 17, 2011

An Invitation to Dinner

Belle et Bonne and Marie sent us here to find you, said Sweezus.

There is the matter of the unfinished article, said Gaius.

What are you talking about? I've got till the end of the week, said Camus. I'm just having a little break here with my family.

Your family? said Sweezus. I didn't know you had one.

My wife Francine and the twins, Jean and Catherine, said Camus. They are at present in the swimming pool. Perhaps you would care to join us later for dinner? We are having Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Sweezus looked hopefully at Gaius.

Thank you, said Gaius. We'd love to.

By the way, said Sweezus, Belle et Bonne and Marie said you might help us with our....OUCH!

They suggested you might help Sweezus with his article, said Gaius smoothly.

Did you just kick him? asked Camus.

No, he must have got cramp, said Gaius. I have no need of anyone's help in the writing department.

I should say not, said Camus. You are a well-respected writer.

As are you, said Gaius.

It's not my fault I've got writer's block, said Sweezus. I wish Farky was here. He used to be my mentor. But he's in hospital.

Is he? said Gaius. No one told me. What's the matter with him?

He's having knee reconstructions, said Sweezus. Riding in the Tour de France did him no good at all.

Brave little fellow, said Gaius.

Who is this Farky? said Camus.

A Scottish dog, said Gaius.

Whooo! Camus whistled admiringly. And I thought I was the one who dealt in life's absurdities.

No comments: