Saturday, August 6, 2016

Mysteries Yet Uncovered

Camel Balls? says Gaius.

Try one, says Arthur.

Gaius takes a Camel Ball from the packet, and sniffs it.

That looks disgusting, says Proust, refusing to take one.

Arthur breaks one in half.

The rough brown outside splits open to reveal a hard white filling with a red blob in the centre.

Arthur pops one half in his mouth.

Mmm, says Arthur, teasingly.

Gaius pops his in, and sucks it.

Proust is half convinced now. What harm can a half do? And Arthur looks like a young man tasting paradise.

Gaius's jaw moves up and down.

All right, says Proust. I shall try my first Camel Ball.

He takes the other half from Arthur, and swallows it, rather too quickly.

Ulp! says Proust. Not bad though.

Have you swallowed it? asks Arthur.

Yes, says Proust. I find that is the best way with something unpleasant, a technique my mother taught me, which I have always.....

He stops talking.

Arthur is blowing a bubble.

The truth dawns.

Dear me, says Gaius. You should have told us it was bubble gum, Arthur. Thank the gods I have not swallowed mine.

But I have, moans Proust.

Only a half one, says Arthur.

It will wind itself round my appendix! cries Proust. I shan't be able to shit it out. Ever.

Calm down, Marcel, says Gaius. I have a purge in my back pack.

On this promise, they get back on their bikes, and proceed down the road to the Mangalia Field Centre.

.........

The Field Centre, a tall white building.

Several Custodians are waiting outside to greet them.

Welcome, says Dumitru. We have only just learned you were coming.

That is very kind of you, says Gaius. Is there a toilet?

All mod cons, says Serban. Do you need the toilet?

My colleague Proust will, shortly, says Gaius.

Welcome Dr Proust, says Luminita. Come in with me. I shall show you the toilet. I'll get Radu to bring your luggage and that lovely scarf you have wrapped around your saddle....

No, leave that where it is, says Proust.

As he is led inside by Luminita, he thinks of his father, a real doctor, a professor of hygiene, a masterful, powerful man, keen on physical exercise, and he finds that he likes being addressed in the same manner as his father, 'Doctor Proust', yes, it does have a nice ring to it...

Here are the rest rooms, says Luminita. Please take your time.

Meanwhile back outside, Gaius is introducing himself.

Gaius Plinius Secundus, says Gaius. You may have read some of my works.

Of course they have. The Custodians are delighted.

They're certain they've all at various times read his works on this, that or the other.

They try to remember what exactly.....

The Entelognathus, says Gaius helpfully. The Microbrachius dicki, then there was my short article on Goose Barnacles, and more recently.... help me out, Arthur....

The Pobblebonk, says Arthur. And the Baw Baw.

Well, it's an honour, says Serban. Perhaps we can give you a tour of the Movile cave, if you're up to going down it?

Of course I'm up to going down it, says Gaius. I was hoping to dive the underground lake and explore its narrow passageways, and perhaps lend my expertise to shedding some light on mysteries still to be uncovered...

Certainly, says Serban. You can go down with Cristian Lascu. He was the first to discover it. And Rich Bodan, the 29th person.

What about Arthur, and our inconvenienced colleague? asks Gaius.

Only three at a time, sorry, says Serban.

Those are the rules.

No comments: