Monday, August 29, 2016

With All Of That Sunshine

I'd better be going, says Albertine.

So soon? says Proust.

It's two thirty in the morning, says Albertine. My...err... aunt will be worried.

Where is she staying? asks Gaius.

Neptun, says Albertine. It's 8k down the coast. It won't take me long to get there.

Neptun? says Gaius. Named after Neptune?

Yes, says Albertine. The resorts all have funny gods' names. There's Jupiter, Neptun, Olimp, Saturn and Venus.

I had no idea she was staying nearby, says Proust. I should like to meet her. May I come with you?

Wup! says Albertine.

Proust has no idea what to make of this answer.

Whatever happens must wait until morning, says Gaius. Cristian?

Absolutely, says Cristian, looking up from his examination of Daniel O'Connell the spider. What are we saying?

Albertine must stay until daybreak, says Gaius. I would offer her my bed, but I fear I have sullied the sheets.

Cristian looks as though he would rather not have heard this.

With cheese notes, says Gaius. I hope you weren't thinking....

No no, says Cristian. One man's cheese note....

Hundreds of them, says Gaius. Screwed up and discarded. I was attempting to come up with some questions to which the only answer was cheese.

What's the answer to a question to which the only answer is cheese? says Arthur.

Brilliant! says Gaius. I wish I'd asked you in the first place. In fact it's too late now. The spider has graduated to a level far beyond common nouns.

As for the screwed up paper, says Albertine, that won't bother me. I'll sleep in your room.

You all will, says Cristian. This is not a hotel.

Wup! All in the same room!

So Gaius, Arthur, Proust and Albertine retire to Gaius's room for the rest of the night.

Albertine has the cheese bed.

Gaius, an armchair.

Arthur and Proust sleep side by side on the floor.

Proust can't sleep, being so close to Arthur.

Pity the floor is so hard.

.......

Daniel O'Connell is the lucky one.

He is in Cristian's room, under a light and microscope, being further examined.

And sure, 'tis like being in Ireland, with all of that sunshine......


No comments: