Saturday, August 15, 2020

Nobody Liked Him

 It's not far to Kingscote, from there.

'There' being the point on the road where Gaius received his invitation.

Seaview Motel, says Gaius. That sounds nice.

What if Arthur and I do the shopping, while you meet up with Kierkegaard and Angelina? says Louisa.

Very well, says Gaius. I won't stay long, I'll just have a peppermint tea. If nothing else, it will be reviving.

Can I come? asks Terence.

No, says Gaius. Oh, all right, if you want to.

I want to, says Terence.

So Gaius lifts Terence into his back pack, and heads off to the Seaview Motel.

Hello! says Kierkegaard. Good to see you.

I didn't intend to interrupt you in your love nest, says Gaius. But Angelina...

I know, says Kierkegaard. She's a fine woman. Come in. The kettle's on.

Terence came too, says Gaius, but Arthur and Louisa are shopping.

Oh, says Angelina. I was hoping to see Arthur again.

You echo my own thoughts on many occasions, says Gaius.

Oh, is he somewhat elusive? asks Angelina.

You could say that, says Gaius. But on the other hand, he is most reliable.

And a poet, says Angelina. I do love a poet.

Kierkegaard looks glum.

I hope you've brought the peppermint tea, says Angelina. I have hot water, but I gave Arthur the packet.

It's in here, says Gaius, rummaging about in his back pack. Along with young Terence.

Terence clambers out with three dead pieces of turnip, stuck on three of his fingers.

What are those, dear? says Angelina.

Dead, says Terence. But not forever.

He has the wrong end of the stick, says Gaius. I told him mint has the ability to revive people when they've fainted. 

Soon the motel room is redolent with the scent of peppermint tea.

So, says Gaius, leaning back, sipping his tea (how pleasant). What have you two been up to?

To tell the truth we haven't been out much, says Angelina.

Kierkegaard looks embarrassed.

We're going to Emu Bay, says Terence. We're meeting Saint Roley there. He didn't come with us because he kept asking questions and nobody liked him.

Kierkegaard looks wry.

Can I have some tea in a bowl for these turnips? asks Terence.


No comments: