Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Not A Real Boy

The stars fade.

The sky lightens.

It's morning, says Terence. 

He runs round the back to wake Gaius.

Saint Roley remains on the verandah with the turnip pieces and Ronnie the pencil.

Well, says Saint Roley, I think we can all agree we learned something. 

Yes, says Ronnie. I learned something.

So did we, says a medium-sized piece of turnip.

It speaks! says Saint Roley. Sorry, that was uncalled for. What did you learn?

The medium-sized piece of turnip coughs loudly, and says:

Our blueberry container is see-through. 
When we weep it mists over
We can't see the stars,
And we don't want to.

All we want is someone to understand what we've gone through.
We thought Holy Ronnie would finish his poem and rejoin us.
We would wrap ourselves around him as we did when we were a whole turnip
And he was not oily and he was called Ronnie
And Ronnie was not a real boy.

You shame me, says Saint Roley. What about you Ronnie?

Ronnie coughs and speaks:

Your poem, dear medium-sized piece of turnip,
Has made me joyful.

Finish it! finish it! chant the turnip pieces.

Therefore I entreat you (begins Ronnie)
To remember the turnip you were
And the pencil I was
When we bonded.

Is that it? ask the ten turnip pieces together.

It's enough, says Saint Roley. As to what I have learned, it's that I've become too controlling. I shall return to the shore alone, and think about making improvements. Goodbye my friends, and good luck on your travels.

He stalks off, leaving the turnip pieces and Ronnie the pencil in a panic.


No comments: