Friday, August 7, 2020

Best to Forget

 Louisa comes through the front door, onto the verandah.

What's this? asks Louisa.

A map, says Terence. Ronnie did it. I helped him.

Terence did it, says Ronnie. I helped HIM.

I can see that, says Louisa. What's it a map of, and why is it here?

It's.... begins Terence.

Don't tell her, says Ronnie. If she can't work it out it's useless.

Or she's useless, says Terence.

Watch it! says Louisa. I'm excellent at reading maps. Okay, a wriggly line, that's a road out to somewhere. And these must be waves, so that's the sea. And this dot here must be where we're going. It's Kingscote!

Close, says Terence. Emu Bay!

Then you need to draw a bit more coastline says Louisa. Like this. Come here Ronnie.

He can't. He's a pencil. She picks him up.

Cripes! says Louisa. You're oily AND sticky! Is that my honey?

It's come off my fingers, says Terence. I gave some to the turnips. They liked it.

That surprises me, says Louisa. But let's not go there. I'll draw a bay here, and ...I know.. A picture of an emu.

Why? asks Terence. Can't you write Emu Bay?

Who's the map for? asks Louisa.

Saint Roley, says Terence. He's gone, but he might come back and he won't know where we've gone to.

He will now, says Louisa. So, who's coming?

We all are, says Terence. I'm their person. 

That's cool, says Louisa. You're their person and I'm Arthur and Gaius's person.

Yes, says Terence. Let's team up.

Sure, says Louisa. Now, come round the back. The others are ready.

They go round the back, leaving the map for Saint Roley.

You can go in my basket, says Louisa. 

Is it girly? asks Terence. 

No way, says Louisa. You'll love what's inside.

Terence runs off, to see what's inside Louisa's basket,

Louisa remembers the turnip pieces, and Ronnie the pencil

He forgot them, thinks Louisa. And they're so sticky. I think I'll forget them as well.

 


No comments: