Friday, August 14, 2020

Remember The Death Box

 Here. Three types of lettuces, says Arthur. 

Wonderful, says Gaius. Hand them over.

Arthur hands them over, which is easy, because they have stopped.

A fine choice of colours, says Gaius.

He tears off a leaf of radiccio, and chews it.

Guess what? says Terence. 

What? says Arthur.

All the turnips pieces have died, says Terence. I only had three left and now I've got nothing.

Not nothing, says Arthur. Unless you threw them away.

Three dead ones, says Terence. And a pencil that thinks it's my fault.

I'm sure it doesn't, says Louisa. Did you explain to it about the mortality of sentient beings?

Yes, says Terence. It's like fighting. 

This is working! says Gaius. I may not need the other lettuces.

We can have them in a sandwich, says Louisa.

Then they'll die, says Terence.

Shall we progress? asks Gaius. How was the shopping in Kingscote?

Good, says Arthur. I bumped into Kierkegaard and Angelina.

Did you exchange words? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Arthur. Words about lettuces. 

Did they exhibit alarm? says Gaius.

No, says Arthur. Angelina knew all about indigestion. She gave me this peppermint tea. She said you should try it.

How kind, says Gaius. I shall certainly try it.

Come on, says Louisa.

Wait, says Gaius. I have Angelina's number on my phone. I'll send her a message.

(A bad move! Has he forgotten they're supposed to be avoiding the holidaying couple?)

You go on ahead, says Gaius. I'll just send this message, and then I'll catch up.

Arthur and Louisa head off down the road, leaving Gaius composing his message.

Angelina, many thanks for the peppermint tea. I shall try it next time I have access to hot water.

Send.

He feels a slight gassy tremor arising. Where's that radiccio?

Meanwhile, up the road, Louisa is asking Arthur about the Twitcher.

Louisa: Who was the Twitcher?

Arthur: The Twitcher? 

Louisa: The Twitcher. Why did you and Gaius take him to Kas?

Arthur: He wanted to meet his beloved.

Louisa: So, he was a person?

Arthur: He was a cuttlefish. A big one. 

Louisa: Where had he come from?

Terence: A Death Box.

Arthur: We found him in a Death Box, but the Death Box was in Wallaroo.

Louisa: So how come his beloved was in Turkey?

Arthur: He imagined she was. He saw a brochure or something. And wanted to meet her. In his head she was a red and orange bejewelled maiden, longing for him.

Louisa: So she was a cuttlefish?

Arthur: Yes.

Louisa has more questions, but now Gaius catches up.

I should have let sleeping dogs lie, says Gaius. Now Angelina has offered to make me a peppermint tea when we arrive in Kingscote. 

That's nice, says Louisa.

Maybe.


No comments: