Monday, August 3, 2020

What's Going Wrong?

How goes the vigil? asks Gaius.

It's finished, says Terence.

No it isn't, says Saint Roley. Nothing is resolved yet.

What does that mean? asks Terence. 

Closed off, says the smallest piece of turnip.

Do you want the lid down? asks Terence. 

No, says the smallest piece of turnip. Resolution does not require the lid down. It just needs attention.

We heard the house creak just now, says Saint Roley. 

So did I, says Gaius. That's why I woke up. I peered in through a window.

See anything? asks Saint Roley.

Nothing, says Gaius.

If I were to give a score out of ten for this vigil, says the smallest piece of turnip, I'd give it zero.

Or minus two, says Holy Ronnie.

Saint Roley is startled. Minus two. Zero? And it's not even over. What's going wrong?

I welcome your feedback, says Saint Roley.

You ask questions and don't listen to the answer, says the smallest piece of turnip. 

I do listen, says Saint Roley. 

Not to us, says the smallest piece of turnip. What was the last thing I said?

Not to us, says Saint Roley.

The last important thing, says the smallest piece of turnip. 

Zero, says Saint Roley. I'm still smarting.

Before that, says the smallest piece of turnip.

The other pieces of turnip are entranced. The smallest piece of turnip is spunky! She won't let this go!

Um, says Saint Roley. Help me here, someone.

Closure, says Gaius. A thoughtful interpretation of the purpose behind resolution...

Before that, says the smallest piece of turnip. 

What was it? asks Terence. 

Shut up, says Holy Ronnie. We're getting closer.

We are, says the smallest piece of turnip. Do you remember?

You wanted me to finish my poem, says Holy Ronnie. I entreat you....etcetera. And you were sad.

Yes, says the smallest piece of turnip.

Why should I lose points for that? asks Saint Roley.

You kept interrupting, says the smallest piece of turnip.

Yes, says Terence. You kept interrupting. I know! Everyone who interrupts has to .....

I think I'll turn in again, says Gaius. Good night.

Good night. Don't worry. It will shortly be morning.

No comments: