Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Japanese For Bizarre

Nine point three seven five hours, says one Tzeet. How long is that exactly?

Roo-kai sighs. 

I can't be more exact.

Flap flap. 

More silent flying.

Will it be night time when we get there? asks the same Tzeet.

I should say so, says Roo-kai.

Flap flap.

Unless we stop for a break, adds Roo-kai.

Flap flap.

Is there a night ferry? asks the other Tzeet.

I think there is, says Roo-kai. But you'll be too late to catch it.

So we might as well stop for a break, says the first Tzeet.

Fine, but not yet, says Roo-kai. We've only just started.

Flap flap. 

Courage! says Roo-kai.  Let us pass the time in conversation.

About what? asks the first Tzeet. We don't know much.

Then ask me a question, says Roo-kai.

Flap flap.

The Tzeets try to think of a question.

Why are you called Roo-kai? asks one Tzeet.

Ah, says Roo-kai. Good question. And it has a long answer.

Go on, says the Tzeet who asked the question.

Well, says Roo-kai. My full name is Roo-kai Catcher. That's what it says on my parrot passport.

Wow! says the second Tzeet. A parrot passport! And you're not even a parrot!

I'm an honorary parrot, says Roo-kai. And Roo-kai is the name Terence gave me.

Does it mean anything? asks a Tzeet. Is it your alarm call? 

No, says Roo-kai. It's how Terence pronounces Ryouki.

Ryouki, says the Tzeet. That sounds Japanese.

It is Japanese, says Roo-kai. Japanese for bizarre.

Why did Terence call you that? ask the Tzeets.

Someone told him it meant Roger, says Roo-kai. 

Roger! Hee hee! laugh the Tzeets.

As in 'received and understood', says Roo-kai. That kind of Roger.

Is that why you have to obey him? asks one Tzeet.

I don't have to obey him, says Roo-kai. I have my own moral compass. Sometimes I advise him. 

Does he take any notice? asks the Tzeet.

Flap flap.

What do you think? says Roo-kai.


No comments: