Friday, September 1, 2023

Not Resigned To Oblivion

We'll go in the electric car, says Camus. It will be faster.

An excellent idea, says Gaius. My bike is still in a flat pack. But I would like to take it.

There'll be plenty of room, says Camus. 

Are you off? asks Pierre-Louis. What about provisions?

We'll stop on the way, says Camus.

Drop me off in the city, says Sweezus.

Can I sit in the front? asks Terence.

You can sit in the back with Roo-kai, says Gaius. That is, unless Roo-kai plans to fly.

I do plan to fly, says Roo-kai. I'll meet you at Saint Kilda.

He leaves through the open front door and flies off.

He didn't say goodbye, says Terence.

Maybe he's offended, says Sweezus. He saw how the wasp died.

So did I, says Terence. You killed it.

I didn't, says Sweezus. It was him.

I did it to save you being stung, says Pierre-Louis.

And now look, says Terence. 

Why don't you bring Waca, says Gaius. He can ride in the back seat with you, and who knows, he might be useful.

Waca, who had resigned himself to oblivion, is thrilled.

He might be useful!

How? asks Terence.

As a decoy, says Gaius. 

We're shooting birds, are we ? asks Camus.

Of course not, says Gaius. Ideally he would look more like a parrot, but there isn't time.

I can make him look more like a parrot, says Terence. Remember?

Gaius remembers the grated carrot stuck to the front of the now space-bound Cwaca.

Yes. Terence could be occupied in the back seat, doing that. But are there any carrots?

He goes to the pantry.

No. Only two sprouting potatoes.

We could peel these, I suppose, says Gaius.

Just buy some fresh carrots, says Sweezus. A wooden duck stuck with potato peel won't attract anything.

I didn't know you were an expert, says Gaius. In fact potato peelings would attract a number of creatures, but you're probably right in the case of the orange-bellied parrot.

So it is decided.

Gaius loads his flat-packed bike into the boot.

He and Camus get into the front seats of the electric car.

Sweezus, Terence and Waca get into the back.

Bruumm! Or rather, hummm... (the car being electric).

They drive to Saint Kilda.


No comments: