Sunday, July 31, 2011

Turritopsis Nutricula

What's an auger? asked Lavender. Does it mean I can tell the future?

No, said Ageless. That's an augury. Auger means a tool for boring holes.

Boring holes! said Lavender, offended.

Of course, said Ageless, no one could bore a hole with you.

Are you saying I'm not pointy enough? asked Lavender.

You're pointy enough, said Ageless. But there's something crucial missing.

You wouldn't say that if I was a BOY, said Lavender.

Lavender, said Baby Pierre. It's not a gender issue. You just don't have any ..... substance, that's all.

Lavender began to sulk.

Now then, said Ageless, to what do I owe this honour?

Have you ever heard of the Immortal Jellyfish? asked Baby Pierre.

I have, said Ageless. I was watching QI the other night. I do like that Stephen Fry.

Yes, but the Immortal Jellyfish, said Baby Pierre. Do you think that it really exists?

It does indeed, said Ageless. I googled it. Turritopsis nutricula. They are in fact growing in numbers. They are thought to have originated in the Caribbean, but they've now spread all over the world.

Baby Pierre was excited by this news.

Will you come on a quest with me, Ageless, to find one? he asked.

He means with us, said Lavender. US!

I will, said Ageless. It will be a pleasure to go on a quest with you, Baby Pierre.

A quest with US, said Lavender.

Of course, with you both, said Ageless. But I can't just drop everything you know. This evening I have an appointment at the Town Hall. Would you care to come with me? We can start on the quest tomorrow.

No comments: