Thursday, July 14, 2011

Stage 12: Cugnaux to Luz-Ardiden

The Tour has now reached the Pyrenees. Gustave and Gaius are toiling up the Col du Tourmalet, cursing the day they were born.

Gustave: Uh huh, uh huh, uuuuh, this is killing me!

Gaius: Courage my friend! It's killing me too.

Gustave: I don't have the legs!

Gaius: Think of France! Neither do I.

Gustave: My poor friend! Think of ancient Rome!

Gaius: I do! There were no bicycles then.

Gustave: Where is Violetta?

Gaius: Up the front somewhere. No one can say she hasn't the legs.

Gustave: She is like a machine, that woman. If only we could trust her....

Gaius: But we can't. You know the gendarmes are asking questions about you?

Gustave: Merde! About me?

......

Meanwhile, The VeloDrone and Le Bon David are even further behind, having decided to walk their bicycles up the Col.

The VeloDrone: After all, what does it matter? We don't want to kill ourselves.

Le Bon David: True, true. We don't want to die.

The VeloDrone: Not today, anyway.

Le Bon David: Ha ha! Naturally, I meant not today. But I can't help thinking about that Japanese chappie.

The VeloDrone: Yukio Mishima?

Le Bon David: Yes, him, and his seppuku.

The VeloDrone: But of course, with a grandmother like that, not allowing him sunlight....

Le Bon David: And a father like that, holding him up to speeding trains....

The VeloDrone: It's a wonder he achieved anything at all. And yet, he was undoubtedly a brilliant novelist.

Le Bon David: And how are the girls enjoying the book?

The VeloDrone: Belle et Bonne nearly gave up at the disembowelling of the kitten, but Marie persuaded her to go on.

Le Bon David: Good, good. By the way, I'm starving. Is there anything to nibble?

The VeloDrone: Let me see. Here, let's go halves in a Kit Kat.

No comments: