Saturday, July 23, 2011

Stage 19: Modane Valfrejus to Alpe d'Huez

Andy Schleck surprised everyone yesterday. Now it is Alberto Contador's turn to go out early. The VeloDrone and Gustave are not overly concerned.

Gustave: I've been thinking about what you said yesterday, Vello.

The VeloDrone: What was that?

Gustave : That the obvious can still be bizarre. I don't see how it can.

The VeloDrone: Tut! Sometimes I come out with these things. But I'm sure I can justify my statement.....yes yes, for example, say you are reading a novel, and the hero or heroine coughs. It is obvious that later in the novel he or she is going to die. And yet, it's just one cough! The situation is bizarre!

Gustave: Oh, well done, Vello! I like a man who can wriggle out of a stupid statement.

The VeloDrone: Do you?

.......

Meanwhile Violetta and Farky have dropped back to ride beside Gaius, who is looking troubled.

Violetta: Gaius! Farky and I are about to make our big move. Want to be in it?

Gaius: I don't think I'd be able to keep up.

Violetta: Here! Have one of these!

Farky: What's that?

Violetta: Nothing. Just a sweetie.

Gaius: I could use a sweetie. Is it a mint?

Violetta (coughs): Excuse me! Yes, just a mint. Swallow it quick!

Gaius: Thank you, Violetta.

He tries to swallow the 'mint' without any water, and chokes.

Gaius (coughs): Excuse me! Oh yes, that's done the trick. I think I'll keep up with you now.

.....

Sweezus has slowed down to draw level with The VeloDrone and Gustave.

Sweezus: What's wrong with Violetta and Gaius? I heard both of them coughing.

Gustave and The VeloDrone exchange knowing looks.

No comments: