Friday, July 22, 2011

Stage 18: Pinerolo to Galibier Serre-Chevalier

There are three big climbs today in Stage 18 of the Tour from Pinerolo to Galibier. Farky is hanging out with Tour, Alberto Contador's Weimaraner, half an hour before the start of the race.

Farky: Hiya Tour! How's Alberto feeling about today?

Tour: As if I would tell you.

Farky: Come on, you can tell me. I'm a fellow dog.

Tour: You may be a fellow dog, mi amigo, but you're also a rider in the race, and a rival of my Contador.

Farky: Fair enough, buddy, but I'll tell you our race plan if you'll tell me his.

Tour: No way, Farky, everyone knows your team's plan is cactus. But I'll tell you what. I'm friends with Andy Schleck's dog, Jacks. He's the Jack Russell over there. Want me to introduce you?

Farky: Yeah, I do.

......

Later, at the start of the climb up the Col d'Izoard, Farky draws alongside The VeloDrone and Gustave, who look less than confident about their chances of making it to the top.

The VeloDrone: Farky! Did you learn anything from that dog of Contador's?

Farky: You mean Tour?

The VeloDrone: Is that his name? Bizarre!

Gustave: It's not that bizarre. He'll be named after the Tour.

The VeloDrone: Yes, yes, alright. The obvious can still be bizarre. Well, did you learn anything?

Farky: Tour was too cagey, but I made friends with Andy Schleck's dog, Jacks.

Gustave: My giddy aunt! Do all of the riders have dogs?

Farky: Do you have a problem with that?

Gustave: No, it makes sense I suppose.

Farky: What d'you mean?

The VeloDrone: Save it, you two. What did he say?

Farky: Well, Jacks is a talker. He said Andy Schleck is going to make a big move on the Col d'Izoard.

The VeloDrone: Really? Where is he, then?

At this very moment Andy Schleck makes his big move and passes them on his way up the Col d'Izoard.

The VeloDrone: There he goes! Jacks was right. You're a useful fellow, Farky.

Farky: Thanks!

Gustave: What the devil was the use of us knowing that?

No comments: