Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Dry and Spineless

Craig has come back. He is surprised to see Flaubert instead of Arthur.

Where's your young friend? asks Craig.

Oh there you are, says Gaius. I expect Arthur to come back any minute, telling me we've missed the train, all thanks to you.

You didn't enjoy Wadlata Outback Centre? says Craig.

That's not the point, says Gaius. My things are on that train. Two irreplaceable Middle Sized Claws, not to mention my notebook and several pencils.

Don't worry, says Craig. I'll give Stacey a call. She'll find 'em.

You know Stacey? says Gaius. Oho! I smell a rat.

A rat? says Flaubert, getting out his notebook.

No, no, says Craig. There is no rat. I like to think I'm a good ambassador for Port Augusta. If you've missed the train, stay on. There are some good events coming up this week.

What are they? asks Flaubert. I'm willing to join in.

A grand community cleanup, that's on tomorrow, and Dry and Spineless on the weekend says Craig. You've picked a good week to be here.

Gaius looks doubtful, Flaubert looks keen.

............

Arthur has been dropped off in Adelaide. He heads to Sweezus's place.

Knock knock.

Sweezus opens the door.

Arthur! says Sweezus. Where the hell have you been? Did you find the Impossible Varan?

No, says Arthur. But I brought you this.

He hands Sweezus the gift-wrapped box.

Wow! Thanks! says Sweezus, ripping off the paper. Nobody ever gives me presents. Oh man, this is awesome. A leather bracelet with a silver stud!

He puts it on, and waves his arm about to look at it from different angles.

It's ostrich leather, says Arthur.

Cool, says Sweezus. A yellow ostrich. I love it!

Sorry I was away so long, says Arthur. It was one thing after another.

I know, says Sweezus. It was the same for me. Exams. Bloody creative writing. But now exams are over. Let's go surfing!

Yes, says Arthur. Let's go surfing. But first I want to meet your famous dog.



No comments: