Monday, November 5, 2012

Wonderful Stuff Pine Tar

Spinoza sits down.

Tar water, says Gaius. I know everything there is to know about tar water.

I don't so much want to know about it, says Spinoza. I want to obtain some of it.

But Gaius isn't listening.

I imagine you read about it in Berkeley, says Gaius. Berkeley got his ideas from me. The ancients used pine tar for numerous purposes. Stopping up bottles, keeping their boats afloat,  flavouring wine, curing ulcers, and preventing their goats from eating young trees .......

Yes, but... says Spinoza. I have a bad cough. I need some to stop myself coughing.

I swear by extra strong mints, says Gaius.

Do you have any of those? asks Spinoza.

Just let me see, says Gaius. He stands up. His notes, pencils and claws drop into the aisle.

He feels around in his pockets.

No, he says. I seem to have sucked the last one.

Then I must go and find Stacey, says Spinoza.

He goes to the end of the carriage and disappears through the door.

Gaius is still standing. He looks down the carriage and sees the antennae of Ageless, sticking up from the seat next to Arthur. He decides to walk down for a chat.

Not asleep then, you two? says Gaius.

No, says Arthur.  I can't sleep.

And you, Ageless, says Gaius. You're higher than usual. I saw from from way back down there.

I'm sitting on The Great Philosophers, says Ageless.

Which Spinoza was reading, if I'm not mistaken, says Gaius. Now he's gone off to look for some tar water,  recommended by Berkeley but of course Berkeley got it from me. Wonderful stuff pine tar.... keeps off insects and poisonous snakes.....

Tell that to your zircon, Arthur, says Ageless.

Can't, says Arthur. I threw it away.

Ageless is shocked. So is Gaius.

In the bin over there, says Arthur, pointing carelessly.

Gaius opens the metal lid of the bin.

A smell wafts out. A stringent and powerful smell.


No comments: