Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Leave Philosophy to Philosophers

Eight forty five a.m.

Arthur and Gaius have been locked in Craig's pantry for just over half an hour. They have eaten all the Coco Pops and several of the stale chocolate croissants.

Craig is in the kitchen thinking things through.

He is thinking: They're very quiet in there.

Next he is thinking: They are capable of stealing knives and breaking windows and I've locked them in my pantry. Who knows what they might do?

Finally he concludes: The wife won't like it. They'll be better out than in.

He unlocks the door of the pantry.

Where were you? says Gaius. We couldn't get out.

Sorry, says Craig. I was out the back. Pantry door sticks sometimes. Come on out.

Arthur and Gaius come out.

I see you found the Coco Pops, says Craig.

We couldn't find a tin opener, says Gaius. Otherwise I would have had sardines.

Craig is glad his wife doesn't keep the tin opener in the pantry. They might not have seen their tin opener again.

Would you like a cuppa? says Craig. I'll put the kettle on. After that I'll show you round the town. How'd you like to go to Wadlata?

Arthur shrugs. Why not? He'd like to see the spooky giant snake.

Are there any fossils there, by any chance? asks Gaius.

Are there any FOSSILSs? says Craig. My oath there are!

He puts the kettle on.

............

Nine fifty five a.m.

The train rolls in to Port Augusta Station, not very late at all.

David and Vello are waiting on the platform, with their bicycles. The train stops. They get on. They hope they don't see Stacey. They don't. They find two empty seats.

........

Ten a.m.

Ageless and Spinoza are in another carriage two down from there. It's full, but Spinoza has managed to get a window seat, and Ageless is in the picnic basket on the floor beside Spinoza's feet.

Lift me up, says Ageless. I want to look out of the window. I want to see the others get back on.

Spinoza lifts him up so he can look out of the window.

I see David and Vello, says Ageless, but not Gaius and not Arthur.

Don't worry, says Spinoza. Everything will be alright.

That's your philosophy is it? says Ageless. Well it's a crap one.

Excuse ME! says Spinoza, it's a good one. Everything has worked out fine so far, according to a predetermined plan.

Are you sure, says Ageless, that doesn't just SEEM to be the case? Is it not all dependent on the precise timing at which you form your point of view?

Leave the philosophy to me, retorts Spinoza. And get back in the picnic basket. Stacey's coming.


No comments: