Friday, November 30, 2012

The Careless Ill Treatment Of Animals

It's mid afternoon and Sweezus and Belle et Bonne have arrived at Middleton. They are surprised to find the others are not there.

Tschh! says Sweezus. Where are they? They've got the surfboards.

I do hope they're alright, says Belle et Bonne. I don't think Arthur's done much driving.

They'll be alright, says Sweezus. Let's find Surfing-With-Whales.

Leaving their bikes in the carpark they climb down the steps to the beach where Surfing-With-Whales is sitting under a red canvas awning.

Nice awning, says Sweezus. Red!

Good for business, says Surfing-With-Whales.

How is business? says Sweezus.

Cactus-shit, says Surfing-With-Whales. It's only good from June to October when there's whales out there.

So what do you do the rest of the time? asks Belle et Bonne.

Surf without whales, says Surfing-With-Whales. And without customers. And in my spare time I do craftwork. I make jewellery and bracelets to sell in mum's shop..

Yeah? says Sweezus. Do you make leather bracelets?

No, man, says Surfing With Whales. No cow or bird or fish  has to die to make my bracelets.

Fish! says Sweezus. Cool! I mean , yeah.....

.........

Arthur Rimbaud and Farquar MacTaggart enter the Ripple and Swirl at Christies Beach.

A distinguished-looking gentleman looks up from his vanilla icecream.

Arthur goes up to the counter, orders two blood orange gelatis, and rummages in his pockets for some cash.
Oops. He remembers he has spent his last fifty in Port Augusta.

He turns to Farky, making a cut throat gesture, with his finger.

The gentleman gets up and comes over.

Excuse me, young man, says the gentleman. I couldn't help but notice that you are in a pickle. May I have the pleasure of treating you and your canine friend to two icecreams?

Thank you, says Arthur. But I prefer to fund myself.

Professor Freud ( for of course, it is he ) is beside himself with professional curiosity. What does the young man mean?

He soon finds out.

Arthur addresses the woman behind the counter.

I see you run a literary establishment, he says, pointing at the chalk board on the wall, which contains a line of poetry by Shelley. How about I give you a poem in exchange for two icecreams?

Nice try, says Lola. But no thanks. And please take that dog outside.


1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog