Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Excelling in Thoughtlessness

Mrs Hume is strangely excited. She is all alone, left to her own resources. At least she has her handbag.

She crosses the road and enters Onboard Surf.

Can I help you? says a man appearing from behind a rack of surfboards.

I don't suppose you've seen my young friend Arthur, says Mrs Hume. He's gone missing.

Sorry, haven't seen anyone, says the man.

Then would you mind calling me a taxi, says Mrs Hume. I need to get to Middleton.

A taxi! laughs the man. You might have to wait a while.

.........

And where is Arthur?

Arthur is excelling himself in thoughtlessness.

He can't find anywhere to buy an icecream.

He walks back to Mrs Hume's car and gets in.

Farky bounds up.

Where's our icecreams? says Farky.

Where are our icecreams, says Arthur.

Yes, where? says Farky.

Nowhere, says Arthur. The icecream shops are closed.

I know one, says Farky. It's called the Ripple and Swirl. It's back at Christies Beach.

Where's that? asks Arthur.

That way, says Farky, pointing.

Get in, says Arthur.

And they drive away, just like that, to find the Ripple and Swirl.

..........

Gaius has arrived back in Adelaide. He turns up at the Velosophy office, looking for Arthur.

Gaius! says David. You're back at last! How was Dry and Spineless?

Wonderful, says Gaius. We had a most interesting talk by Kristen Messenger of Bugs N Slugs. Did you know that a new species of phasmid was discovered only recently in the Gawler Ranges, Paractenomorpha baehri.

Well, well, says David. Fascinating. Was it very recently?

Two thousand and four, says Gaius.

Ah! says David. Quite recently.

I intend to try and discover a new species myself, says Gaius. That's why I'm looking for Arthur. As you know he is my right hand man.

Do you find him reliable? says David.

Of course, says Gaius, remembering Arthur's seamless acquisition of the Southern Railways knife. Where is he?

Vello knows, says David. But he's not allowed to tell. Arthur's gone surfing.

Then he'll be down at Middleton, says Gaius. I shall set off for Middleton first thing in the morning. It will be as good a place as any for us to find stick insects.

What are you doing tonight? asks David.

Nothing, why? says Gaius.

Come out with me and Vello, says David. We're going to Ologism.


No comments: